Withdrawal Procedures

Student Responsibility

Students assume financial and academic responsibility for each course for which they register. Students are allowed to cancel enrollment prior to the first day of the semester or session. After class begins a student must withdraw from the University and must adhere to the refund schedule set forth by the Office of Business and Finance. Students are also responsible for properly registering for the courses they intend to take. Attending class and completing the required work does not constitute an official registration. The appropriate forms for these actions must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. The date on which the Office of the Registrar receives the student’s completed drop or withdrawal form is the effective date on which academic action, refunds, and cancellation of charges are based. Discontinuing attendance in class, notifying an instructor of a status change, vacating a residence hall or non-payment of fees and tuition does not constitute an official withdrawal or course change.

Cancellation Procedures for all Students

Once a student has registered for a future semester and decides before the first day of the semester or session that he/she will not be able to attend, he/she should contact the Office of the Registrar to cancel registration. Cancelling prior to the first day of the semester or session insures minimal financial obligation. The student’s signature is required to process a cancellation.


For current continuing students only. New freshmen and transfers must contact the Office of Admissions to cancel.

Submit the Summer Cancellation Form or Fall 2015 Cancellation Form and contact the offices below:

Office of the Registrar:

Cancellation– Please download, complete, and sign the cancellation form on our website or send written notice to Rhonda Stills at rstills@umw.edu from your UMW email account. Our fax number is 540.654.2145. Notifications must be received prior to the beginning of the semester by Friday, August 21, 2015. If you have additional questions, please send an email to the address above or call 540-654.1256.

Leave of Absence– Please submit a Request for Leave of Absence form before the Spring semester begins by Friday, August 21, 2015. Forms are available on the Registrar’s webpage, in the Office of the Registrar on the Fredericksburg campus for BA, BS, BSN, BLS and MSGA students, and from the Registrar’s office on the Stafford campus for BPS, MBA, and MED degree-seeking students.

Office of Student Accounts:

By Friday, August 21, 2015, please submit written notice to the Office of Student Accounts via email (preferred) to umwbills@umw.edu or in person that you will not attend the Fall 2015 semester and request a refund of any tuition paid. You will be responsible for a non-refundable $30.00 registration fee which can be paid online through EagleNet or at the Cashiers Office in Lee Hall. If you have an outstanding balance on your account, you will need to discuss plans for payment. For questions concerning your account, please call 540-654-1250/1289 or send an email to the address above.

Students may submit an appeal to the University of Mary Washington Tuition Appeal Committee for the removal of tuition and comp fees or late fee charges on their student account for extenuating circumstances. Students must file an appeal within 30 days of the original bill date for the charges or within 30 days of the student’s withdrawal from the University. See Student Accounts Appeals page to learn more.

Office of Residence Life:

Residential student: If you signed a Residential Housing and Dining Services Agreement, please notify Residence Life that you will not be returning by electronically submitting the Intent to Vacate University Housing Form at: http://students.umw.edu/residencelife/itv. Failure to do so will result in charges remaining on your account.

Commuting student: If you signed a Commuter Meal Plan Agreement, please cancel the contract by electronically submitting a Meal Plan Change application at: http://students.umw.edu/residencelife/mealplan. Failure to do so will result in charges remaining on your account.

Office of Financial Aid:

Please visit the following link and complete the exit counseling process: http://adminfinance.umw.edu/financialaid/. Should you have additional questions, please send an email to finaid@umw.edu or call 540-654-2468.


Before you leave, return all UMW library materials and pay any fines you owe.

Withdrawal Procedures for all Students

After the semester or session has begun, a student (at either the Fredericksburg or Stafford campus) who does not plan to continue must withdraw from the University.

Please contact Rhonda Stills at (540)654-1256 or at rstills@umw.edu for full withdrawal procedures.