Students assume financial and academic responsibility for each course for which they register. Students are allowed to cancel enrollment prior to the first day of the semester or session. After class begins a student must withdraw from the University and must adhere to the refund schedule set forth by the Office of Business and Finance. Students are also responsible for properly registering for the courses they intend to take. Attending class and completing the required work does not constitute an official registration. The appropriate forms for these actions must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar. The date on which the Office of the Registrar receives the student’s completed form is the effective date on which academic action, refunds, and cancellation of charges are based. Discontinuing attendance in class, notifying an instructor of a status change, vacating a residence hall or non-payment of fees and tuition does not constitute an official withdrawal or course change.
Cancellation Procedures for all Students
Once a student has registered for a future semester and decides before the first day of the semester or session that he/she will not be able to attend, he/she should contact the Office of the Registrar to cancel your registration. Canceling prior to the first day of the semester or session ensures minimal financial obligation. Completed cancellation paperwork must be received by 11:59 p.m. on the day before classes begin for the term or session.
First Time Students
Please contact the Office of Admissions at 540-654-2000 or email@example.com.
1. Please contact Brian Ogle at 540-654-1258 or firstname.lastname@example.org from your UMW email account to request cancellation paperwork. Paperwork may also be picked up at our office in Lee Hall. The cancellation paperwork may be returned to the Registrar’s Office in Lee Hall, through your UMW email, or faxed to 540-654-2145.
2. Submit written notice of your cancellation and request a refund of any tuition paid to the Office of Student Accounts via email (email@example.com). If you have an outstanding balance on your account, you will need to discuss plans for payment. For additional questions concerning payments or refunds, please call 540-654-1250/1289 or send an email to the address above.
Withdrawal Procedures for all Students
After the semester or session has begun, a student (at either the Fredericksburg or Stafford campus) who does not plan to continue must withdraw from the University. Completed withdrawal paperwork must be received by 5:00 p.m. on the last day of classes for the semester.
1. Please submit the Student Withdraw Form to Brian Ogle at firstname.lastname@example.org from your UMW email account. Alternatively, paperwork may also be picked up at the Registrar’s Office in Lee Hall. The withdrawal paperwork may be returned in person to our office, through your UMW email, or faxed to 540-654-2145. For additional questions concerning the withdrawal paperwork, Brian Ogle can be reached at the email above or 540-654-1258.
2. Submit written notice of your withdrawal to the Office of Student Accounts via email (email@example.com). If you have an outstanding balance on your account, you will need to discuss plans for payment. For additional questions concerning payments or refunds, please call 540-654-1250/1289 or send an email to the address above.
Additional Cancellation/Withdrawal Information
- Cancelled students who plan to re-enroll may submit a Request for Leave of Absence form by the cancellation deadline. Forms are available on the Registrar’s webpage (Leave of Absence Policies) and in the Office of the Registrar on either campus.
- If you signed a Residential Housing and Dining Services Agreement, please notify Residence Life that you will not be returning by electronically submitting the Intent to Vacate University Housing Form at: http://students.umw.edu/residencelife/itv. Failure to do so will result in charges remaining on your account.
- If you signed a Commuter Meal Plan Agreement, please cancel the contract by electronically submitting a Meal Plan Change application at: http://students.umw.edu/residencelife/mealplan. Failure to do so will result in charges remaining on your account.
- If you receive ANY type of financial aid, please visit the following link and complete the exit counseling process: http://adminfinance.umw.edu/financialaid/. Should you have additional questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540-654-2468.
- If you have a parking decal you should return it to Parking Management. Click here for the prorated information. Eagle Landing residents MUST return their parking decal AND RFID reader to Parking Management. Failure to do so can result in a lost key charge. You may contact Parking Management located in Lee hall Room 110 at 540-654-1129 if you have additional questions about this process.
- Before you leave, return all UMW library materials and pay any fines you owe.