Step 1: Instructions and Transfer Credit Policies

Carefully read all the policies and notes on this page.

  1. THIS ONLINE FORM IS FOR STUDENTS PURSUING a B.A. or B.S. or BLS DEGREE. If you are pursuing a B.L.S. degree please contact the B.L.S. Office at 540/654-2050 if the course is fulfilling a BLS gen. ed. All other degree programs or academic certificate programs please contact the College of Business or College of Education.
  2. THIS ONLINE FORM IS ONLY FOR COURSES TAUGHT IN THE U.S. If you are applying to study at a non-U.S. institution or the course will meet outside the U.S., please consult the Center for International Education in Lee Hall.
  3. If you plan to use the transfer credit toward requirements in your MAJOR, you must download the paper version of the form and submit it to your academic advisor for final approval BEFORE submitting to the Registrar’s Office.
  4. The online form is electronically sent to the Office of the Registrar. Confirmation of your application to study at another institution will be sent to the e-mail address you list on the form.
  5. After completing the course, request an official transcript from the institution of study be sent to:
    Office of the Registrar
    University of Mary Washington
    1301 College Ave.
    Fredericksburg, VA 22401-5300


There are no deadlines to apply for permission. You must simply make the request before you sign up for the course at the other school.

There are deadlines for having transcripts sent after you complete the course.

  • Nov. 15 is the transcript deadline for all spring and summer courses taken the same calendar year.
  • April 15 is the transcript deadline for all fall semester courses taken in the pervious calendar year.


  • ELI, Video, Web/On-line, “alternative delivery format” or correspondence courses: Preapproval from the Chairperson of the department for which the discipline is taught must be obtained. Courses found to be equivalent to University of Mary Washington courses will be accepted for transfer regardless of delivery method. However, the College may reject courses which are not found to be substantively equivalent to their UMW counterparts.
  • TAKING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE: A student may begin at any level of the language for which he/she is prepared, but he/she must successfully complete the remaining sequence of courses through the 202 intermediate level, in order, once begun. No course may be skipped (without approval of the Modern Language Dept.) or taken pass/fail. Sequence violations will result in deletion of transfer credits.
  • SENIORS: If you are an attempting to graduate at the end of this semester make sure you check the appropriate box before signing the application.
  • SENIORS: You may only transfer six (6) credits of your last 21 credits earned. Fifteen of the last 21 credits for the UMW degree must be earned at UMW. Furthermore, only 89 credits may transfer toward a degree.
  • All courses must be taken at an accredited college or university in the United States and must be graded. All courses must earn a grade of “C” (2.0) or better. Courses taken on a “pass/fail” basis do not qualify for transfer of credit.
  • All UMW course load regulations apply to courses taken in the same semester including those taken concurrently at other institutions. Permission to overload with transfer credit must be secured in advance from the Associate Dean of Academic & Career Services.
  • Any “Permit to Study” is automatically revoked when a student is suspended at the conclusion of a semester or summer session.

Continue to Step 2 >>