Registration for Non-Degree Students & Auditors
Any student who has not been officially admitted into a degree program at the University of Mary Washington is a non-degree student. These students are governed by the same academic regulations as degree-seeking students. To convert to degree-seeking status, a non-degree student must apply for admission to the University and be accepted. Applications must be submitted before the student has completed 30 credits of graded UMW coursework. Non degree students may register for a maximum of 11 credits each semester. More information can be found in the Academic Catalog.
Non-degree students must complete and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org the forms/documents that are listed below:
- Non-Degree Course Registration Request
- Bio-Demographic Information
- Virginia In-State Tuition Form for Non-Degree Students
- Transcript(s) from any other college(s) previously attended
Military personnel need to provide a copy of orders. Military dependents must provide a copy of orders and Dependent ID. The Virginia In-State Tuition form must be submitted.
Course Change Request Form (To be used to make changes to schedule after initial registration.)
Spring 2021 graduate non-degree registration: November 30-January 29
Spring 2021 undergraduate non-degree registration: January 21-29
Before completing your registration packet, you are advised to check the open course listing on the registrar’s web page. Please note: If you choose not to attend this semester, you must officially cancel before classes begin or withdraw from the University after classes begin. The paperwork for these processes must be completed in the Office of the Registrar, Lee Hall, Room 206.
Students are reminded to bring your Vehicle Registration, Student Schedule and UMW ID to the Parking Management Office when you register your car and pay for your parking decal.
Attention Stafford campus students:
Students wishing to enroll in Business courses on the Stafford campus should read these instructions.
Students wishing to enroll in Education courses on the Stafford campus should read these instructions.
Registration for those wishing to audit classes will be held on Tuesday, January 26. forms can be submitted to email@example.com. The fee for auditing is $30 per credit hour. You must complete the Audit Application and Registration form. Citizens over 60 are exempt from the fee, but you must complete the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver. Au paires should bring their visa.
Audit Policy and Restrictions
The Registration Form must be signed by the instructor.
- Undergraduate students may not audit graduate courses
- Suggested courses for au paires:
- 100 and 200 level Economics (ECON)
- 100 and 200 level Geography (GEOG)
- 100 and 200 level History (HIST)
- 100 and 200 level Linguistics (LING)
- 100 and 200 level Psychology (PSYC)
- 100 and 200 level Sociology (SOCG)
- 100 and 200 level Theatre (THEA)
- Students seeking to learn English as a second language should contact area high schools or libraries.
- Students may not audit any individual study or research class, typically course numbers from 481 to 499 for any discipline.
- Students may not audit courses with labs in Biology (BIOL), Chemistry (CHEM), Geology (GEOL), Physics (PHYS) and Psychology (PSYC)
- Part-time auditors may register for a maximum of 11 credits each semester
|Art History (ARTH)||Requires Instructor and Dept. Chair signature|
|Art Studio (ARTS)||Only auditable by current or retired faculty|
|Chemistry (CHEM)||Only lecture courses with separate labs can be audited|
|Communication (COMM)||Cannot audit 205, 206, 209, 481 or 482|
|Education (EDUC)||Requires Instructor and Dept. Chair signature|
|Environmental Sci. (EESC)||Cannot audit 421, 460|
|English (ENGL)||Cannot audit 101, 200, 207, 300, 301, 302, 304, 305, 306, 307, 312, 313. Any course over 400 requires Instructor signature|
|French (FREN)||Requires Instructor and Dept. Chair signature|
|Freshmen Seminar (FSEM)||No audits allowed|
|German (GERM)||Requires Instructor and Dept. Chair signature|
|Historic Preservation (HISP)||Requires Instructor and Dept. Chair signature|
|History (HIST)||Cannot audit 299|
|Honors (HONR)||Cannot audit HONR 201|
|Italian (ITAL)||Requires Instructor and Dept. Chair signature|
|Latin (LATN)||Requires Instructor and Dept. Chair signature|
|Music History & Literature (MUHL)||Allowed to audit all open courses|
|Music Performance (MUPR)||No audits allowed|
|Music Theory||Allowed to audit all open courses|
|Physical Education (PHYD)||No audits allowed|
|Sociology (SOCG)||Cannot audit 331 or 352|
|Spanish (SPAN)||Requires Instructor and Dept. Chair signature|
|Teaching English as Second Language (TESL)||Can audit 411 only|