Look at the schedule of courses on the portal under the Academics tab in the Registration Tools area. Plan your schedule of courses for the term.
- Make an appointment with your academic advisor. If you forgot who your advisor is, log into the portal and click on the Academics tab. Under the UMW Academic Profile, click on the Academic Information/Advisor link.
- Discuss your schedule and any academic concerns with your advisor. Make sure that your advisor removes the advisor hold. You cannot access registration unless your hold has been removed. Students on the Stafford campus (except MED students) do not have to have a advisor hold.
- In the portal, click on the Registration Status link under the Academics tab in the Registration Tools area to see if you have any holds which prevent registration. If you do, please work with the appropriate office to remove the hold(s) before your registration time.
- Make sure that you register between the start and end date and time of your registration window. Click on the Registration Appointment Times link to see when you may register.
- Once you finish registering, print your schedule for your records.
- You may change your schedule during the adjustment period or during drop/add.
To search the schedule of classes, first select the term.
The basic search allows you to enter criteria to narrow your class search. To see all classes on the schedule, leave all criteria blank. The Advanced Search allows you to search using additional criteria.
Once the search is performed, the search results provide information on each course. To view additional details for a specific course, such as the full course description, instructor, meeting dates and times, instructional method, and prerequisites, select that course to view the Class Details window.
Some classes have a waitlist option. The waitlist feature is not available until the online adjustment period begins. If a class with a waitlist option is full, students may put themselves on the waitlist through myUMW Student Self Service. When an open seat becomes available, the student in the first waitlist position will receive an email and have 48 hours to go online and add the class. The open seat will be reserved for that student for 48 hours FROM the time the email was sent. During this 48-hour time period, the student can add and drop the waitlisted class in the Add/Drop screen in Self Service. If the student fails to register for the class within those 48 hours, the next student on the list will be notified and have 48 hours to register for the class. If you have a Registration Hold on your record, you will not be able to register for the class.
Frequently Asked Questions about Waitlisting
How do I get on a waitlist?
- Log in to myUMW Student Self Service
- Choose Student & Financial Aid -> Registration -> Register or Add/Drop Classes
- Select Term & Choose Class Search
- Select Class & Choose Register
- If class is closed and has a wait list, you will get a Registration Add Error
- If you wish to add yourself to the wait list, choose Wait Listed from the drop down action field and click Submit Changes
How do I know my position on the waitlist?
After you have placed yourself on the waitlist, you can view your position by going to Student Detail Schedule and selecting the correct term. If your waitlist position is 1, this means that you are next in line to receive an email notification if a seat becomes available in the class.
What do I do when I get a waitlist email notification?
When you receive an email notification you have 48 hours from the email notification to add the class. You must:
- Log into myUMW Banner Self Service
- Choose Student & Financial Aid
- Choose Registration & Select Current Term
- Choose Register or Add/Drop Classes
- Choose appropriate action (Web Registered to register; DROP WEB to remove yourself from the Waitlist) & click Submit Changes
- *If you are a College of Business Graduate Student with a Foundations First or Enrollment Agreement hold on your record, you will have 48 hours from the email notification to submit a Course Registration Request form to the Stafford Campus Registrar’s Office (Fax: 540-286-8005) so that you may be registered for the course.
- To Waitlist a course, you must meet all course requirements (prerequisites, program restrictions, etc.)
- If you’ve added yourself to a waitlist, be sure to check your e-mail often (at least twice a day) for waitlist email notifications
- If you have a hold on your record, it may prevent you from registering for the course. Clear registration holds from your record as soon as possible
- If you are registered for a different section of the same class, you need to DROP the section that you are registered so that you can add the waitlisted section
- Make sure that you will not have a time conflict for the waitlisted class with a class that you are already registered for
- If you are waitlisted for other sections that you no longer want, please drop them so that other students can move up on the waitlist.
What happens if I do not register for the course within the 48 hour time frame?
If you do not register for the course within the 48 hours after the email notification, you will automatically be dropped from the wait list. The next student on the wait list would then move to the top of the list. Therefore, if you add yourself to a waitlisted class, be sure to check your e-mail often.
As a Senior/Junior, do I get priority over a freshman?
During priority registration at the beginning of the registration period you will have priority over underclassmen. However, once registration is open for everyone, all classes that have a waitlist operate on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Can I add myself to a waitlist for more than one section of the same course?
Yes. Although you may not officially register for two or more sections of the same class, you may add yourself to the waitlists of more than one section of a course. The system will allow you to stay in your current section and also get on the waitlist for additional sections of the course. If you are notified via email that a seat is now available in a different section, you will first need to drop the class for which you are registered, and then you may register for the section in which you were previously waitlisted. Please drop yourself from any classes or waiting lists that you do not intend to take.
Can I add myself to a waitlist for a class that has a time conflict with another course?
The system will allow you to waitlist a class that has a time conflict with another course that you are registered. However, if you should receive an email notification that you can register for the waitlisted course, you will need to drop any course for which you are registered for that has a time conflict before you will be able to register for the waitlisted course.
What if I drop my waitlisted class by accident? Can I get back in?
If you are still within your 48 hour window, yes. You can add the class back to your schedule by going to Add/Drop classes, type the CRN # of the course, and submit changes. This will register you for the course. However, if the 48 hour window has expired, you will not be able to register for the course and would have to add yourself back to the waitlist (if space is available) if you still wanted to take the course.
What does an Open – Reserved for Waitlist error message mean?
If you should receive this message when trying to register for a class, it means that although the system is currently showing a seat available, this seat is being reserved for the next student on the waitlist. If you receive this message, you can choose to add yourself to the wait list by choosing Wait Listed from the drop down action field and clicking on Submit Changes.
When does the option to waitlist a class end?
The option to waitlist a class will end one week before the term begins. Any students still on a waitlist for a class at that time will be removed.