The following Leave of Absence policies are for BA/BS and BLS students only.
Approved Leave of Absence is required for students who wish to continue their original degree program, following original requirements (major program and all other requirements). Discontinuing enrollment for a semester or more without prior approval is not leave of absence.
Cumulative Overall GPA of 2.00 or above on institutional coursework is required.
A maximum of two consecutive semesters of leave is awarded; after return from leave and completion of a semester or term, additional leave may be granted.
- Submit a Request for Leave of Absence prior to the beginning of the first semester of absence or at the time of withdrawal during a semester.
- Settle any outstanding debts or other obligations to the University.
- Keep the Office of the Registrar informed of changes in address and changes in plans.
- Students out for three semesters or less can participate in Advance Registration after meeting with their advisor. Students out more than three semesters must contact the Office of Admissions to re-enroll.
- Allow a student returning from a period of approved Leave of Absence to complete the degree program as originally begun if he/she re-enrolls at UMW within one semester after conclusion of two semesters of leave.
- Permit a student returning from a period of approved Leave of Absence to register for classes during Advance Registration
- Provide information about registration for the semester of planned re-enrollment.
You can download the Leave of Absence form here. The completed form can be faxed to the Office of the Registrar at 540-654-2145. It must be received prior to the first day of class. Students on the Stafford campus should fax their forms to 540-286-8005.
Personal Leave of Absence
For students who do not plan to take courses for one or two semesters for any reason (health, finances, etc.); submit Request for Leave of Absence form to the Office of the Registrar.
Study Leave of Absence
For students who plan to take courses (with prior written approval) at another college or university in the United States for one or two semesters; submit to the Office of the Registrar a Request for Leave of Absence form and a Request to Study at Another U.S. Institution form.
Study Abroad Leave of Absence
For students who plan to take courses in another country in a fully approved program; submit Request for Study Abroad Leave of Absence form to the Director of International Academic Services.
Students receiving any type of financial assistance for their attendance should clarify their status with the Office of Financial Aid before taking a Leave of Absence. Please call 540-654-2468 or visit Financial Aid.
Transfer Credit Permission Required
Students who plan to take courses at another college or university while on Leave of Absence must obtain prior written approval in the form of a completed Request to Study at Another U.S. Institution from the Office of the Registrar for each course taken. Also, see “Transfer Credits” in the Academic Catalog. No credit will be awarded for courses taken at another college or university without the approval previously specified. No credit will be awarded for courses (even if prior approval was obtained) if transcripts are received after the University of Mary Washington’s published deadlines– November 15 for courses taken the previous summer or spring, April 15 for course taken the previous fall.