The Honors Program at UMW is a unique interdisciplinary learning opportunity for students. Students will be enrolled in challenging learning experiences but will also be part of a community of people who strive to grow intellectually, personally, and ethically. Through coursework, students will learn to analyze their own and others’ assumptions and to apply critical reading, writing, speaking, problem solving, and thinking skills that incorporate information literacy, and an appreciation of audience. Through intentional experiences of service and leadership, the program also invites students to develop themselves as thoughtful, contributing citizens of the campus and wider communities.
The Honors Program seeks a diverse and inclusive community of scholars.
Points Of Entry into the Honors Program
Based on high school GPA, standardized test scores, and rigor of high school curriculum, most students entering the Honors program will do so upon admission to the university. However, others may apply for acceptance after matriculation, during their first year. All students, no matter their point of entry, must complete the requirements of the Honors Program to graduate with University Honors.
Who Can Apply
Students who were not accepted into the Honors Program through the Common Application to UMW may apply to the Honors Program in their first year if they fall within these guidelines:
Earned a cumulative UMW GPA of 3.2 or above
- Completed only one or two semesters of study at UMW
- Completed fewer than 60 total credits
- Sought a rigorous curriculum
- Made a commitment to completing the honors requirements linked above
Interested students are highly encouraged to enroll in at least one HN-designated class in Fall or Spring of their first year.
Applications will be accepted each year by February 1st.
The application consists of two parts:
1. Students should complete the online application on this site. SPRING 2020 APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
2. Students should arrange to have one letter of recommendation completed by a UMW faculty member. Faculty members will complete and submit their recommendations on this site. Letters of recommendation from faculty teaching an Honors-designated course make the strongest case for admittance to the program and thus are preferred.
If You Are Accepted
Current students accepted through application to the Honors Program will be required to complete the Honors Program Track B requirements.