Awards for Community Engagement and Service
The Center for Community Engagement is committed to recognizing all of the good work taking place on UMW’s campus as part of volunteer programs, service initiatives, and community engaged classes, among other projects. We offer two main award programs:
Community Service Cord:
Students who complete at least 30 hours of community service are eligible to receive the Community Service graduation cord. A student must complete at least 30 hours of community service in the greater Fredericksburg region or on UMW sponsored trips while enrolled as a full-time or part-time student. To apply for the Community Service cord for graduation, complete the Service Cord application form. If possible, please upload documentation (or refer to your service hours in MyUMW, which are logged when you participate in on-campus service activities). Questions? Email Graduate Assistant Mackenzie Hard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each year, the Student Activities and Engagement (SAE) office holds the Eagle Awards ceremony to recognize outstanding student leaders on campus. There are many awards that recognized leaders in service activities on campus.
- Leader in Service: This award recognizes an underclassman who has demonstrated exceptional commitment to community service, either locally, regionally, nationally, or globally. The student must have demonstrated outstanding initiative in planning, organizing, and executing community service activities, while also demonstrating the ability to cooperate with other organizations, either on or off campus
- Clara Boyd Wheeler Award: This is awarded to a graduating senior who exemplifies grace, a spirit of service and the ability to change lives.
- Elizabeth M. Baumgarten Leadership Award: Elizabeth “Liz” Baumgarten Heagy was committed to service as a student here at UMW and helped found Community Outreach and Resources (COAR). This is award is given to a senior for outstanding service to the university and community.
- Outstanding Community Service: This award recognizes an organization’s involvement in a community service activity that positively impacts the targeted community. The specific program may be held on or off campus and should relate to the organization’s mission. It is preferred that the activity had a notable impact on the organization and its members that continued throughout the year. This award is open to all clubs and organizations including sports clubs.
- Outstanding Philanthropy Program: This award recognizes an organization’s involvement in philanthropic activity or event that positively affects a targeted cause either locally or globally. The specific program may be held on or off campus and should relate to the organization’s mission. It is preferred that the activity had a notable impact on the organization and its members that continued throughout the year.
Visit the awards page and don’t forget to nominate someone in March!