There are several best practices for working with student volunteers. In addition to being sensitive to their unique needs it is recommended you do the following:
- Designate a staff person to serve as a liaison and communicate with student volunteers. Provide contact information (email; cell phone for on-site coordination).
- Clearly communicate your expectations for students and your expected timeline.
- Provide an orientation and any training required by your program, if needed.
- Supervise student volunteers and undertake all reasonable measures to ensure safety.
- Provide an atmosphere for learning that is supportive and free of harassment or discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, disability or sexual orientation.
- Be responsive to communications over email, phone or text from the UMW point of contact or student volunteer (respond to email within 2 business days).
- Provide feedback to volunteer supervisor as needed.
Thank you for your willingness to work with UMW student volunteers! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to Sarah Dewees at firstname.lastname@example.org.