Students with disabilities may request accommodations in their residence halls by completing a Housing Accommodation Request which includes documentation of a substantially limiting condition from the physician or other appropriate professional. Disability-based housing accommodations include, but are not limited to:
Wheelchair-accessible room and bathroom
Flashing fire alarms and bed shakers
Reduction in number of roommates
To Submit a Disability Based Housing Accommodation Request:
Please complete all three parts of the following form and submit to the Office of Disability Resources: Housing Accommodation Application.
Part I. Housing Accommodation Application (to be completed by the student)
Part II. Permission for Release of Information (to be completed by the student or parent/guardian)
Part III. Documentation of Disability-Related Need for Housing Accommodations (to be completed by the student and treating professional).
IIIa. In addition to this form the physician must include, ON LETTERHEAD, the date of the most recent office visit of the student, his/her professional credentials, and his/her signature.
DEADLINES: The deadlines for submitting housing accommodation requests to the Office of Disability Resources, generally, are:
- The end of January for students returning the following fall semester
- The end of November for students studying abroad the current fall semester and new or transfer students for the spring term (see below for specific date information)
- The end of April for incoming student for the coming fall semester
Accommodation requests that are received by the deadlines will be reviewed and all approved accommodations are guaranteed. Because housing accommodations are contingent on availability, accommodation requests made after the due date will be provided on a space available basis but cannot be guaranteed.
Housing Accommodation Request Process:
1. The Housing Accommodations Committee reviews all applications.
2. The Committee sends an e-mail to the student (Residence Life is copied on the email) notifying him/her whether or not the accommodations were approved.
3. Students with approved ADA accommodations sign-up for housing directly with the Office of Residence Life.
For specific deadline dates please contact Residence Life.
Please Submit All Documents To:
Office of Disability Resources, 401 Lee Hall, University of Mary Washington,
1301 College Avenue, Fredericksburg, VA 22401/via email: firstname.lastname@example.org; or by fax (540) 654-2155.
**IMPORTANT NOTE: Students must resubmit applications for housing accommodations annually.
For more information on housing accommodations, please see Frequently Asked Housing Questions.