University Curriculum Committee
University of Mary Washington
24 October 2012
Present: Voting members:
- Gail Brooks – College of Business, secretary
- Stephen Davies (Computer Science), chair – University Faculty Council
- Beverly Epps (Foundation, Leadership, and Special Populations) – College of Education
- Brad Hansen (Economics), College of Arts and Sciences
- Rita Dunston – Registrar
- John Morello – Associate Provost
- Jacqueline Gallagher – Geography
- Richard Finkelstein – Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
Chair Stephen Davies called the meeting to order at 3:03 p.m. in Trinkle B7.
- The Committee discussed the University Curriculum Committee’s duties as stated in the Faculty Handbook. The Committee decided that the Chair of the UCC will send an email to the Chair of the appropriate College Curriculum Committee with an explanation whenever a proposal is rejected.
- The expedited proposal to change the prerequisites for BIOL 312: Plant Physiology to “Biology 340 and 341” was approved on 10/22/12 as a result of the public comment period passing without any question or objections being raised.
- The Committee approved the proposal for the new program Master of Science in Geospatial Analysis with the following amendments and notes.
- The prefix for graduate courses in the program will change from GISC to MSGA.
- The information pertaining to the graduate certificate under the Admissions section (second paragraph) will be deleted.
- Section VII: b. Employment demand in Virginia, c. National demand, d. Student demand, e. Alumni demand; Section IX: Student enrollment projections; Section X: Program Resource Needs and Section XI: Provost Signature Page were not included as part of the proposal reviewed by the committee.
- The Committee approved a proposal for a new course BIOL 444: Bioinformatics.
- The Committee approved a proposal for a new course HIST 190: Great Lives: Biographical Approaches to History and Culture.
- The Committee approved a proposal for a new course HIST 428: Digital History.
- The Committee approved a proposal for a new course HIST 297: History Colloquium.
- The Committee approved a proposal for a new course HIST 298: History Practicum.
- The Committee approved a proposal to revise the History major.
- The Committee approved a proposal for a new minor in Neuroscience.
The meeting adjourned at 4:16 p.m.