Create a ‘Start Here’ or ‘Week 0’ module or page
- Provide a welcome to the course, introduce yourself, teach students how to navigate the course structure, and offer links to resources and support for the term.
- A short recording of you ‘touring the site’ and one introducing yourself promotes a positive start to the learning experience.
- Make this module available a week before the class begins.
Create an Introductions thread on the discussion board
- As a first activity, ask students to introduce themselves on a discussion thread. Students can share their name, what they hope to learn in the course, and then a response to a fun question (e.g. favorite song, best meal they ever had, what makes them laugh the hardest, etc.).
Survey students during the first week about their individual goals and needs
- An introduction survey is a great way to gather student input for learning goals and activities as well as determining unique learning and course access needs. Example ‘Get to Know Me’ survey questions & prompts include:
- This course will be a success for me if…
- I’m interested to learn about…
- In this course, I’m concerned about…
- I best show what I know or understand by…
- Imagine the worst course assignment for you. Describe it below.
- What time or technological challenges might impact your work in this course?