Screencast-O-Matic is a tool that allows you to record what’s happening on your computer screen, as well as video and audio via your computer’s built-in webcam and microphone. This is a useful tool for recording lectures to share with students online, especially if the lecture includes PowerPoint slides or other visual aids.
Things to Know
- Though Screencast-O-Matic has many features available for free, UMW has purchased an institutional license that includes several premium features to make recording and sharing videos easier (most notably auto-captioning and cloud storage). To gain access to these premium features, contact Digital Learning Support to be added to UMW’s account.
- Short videos (15 minutes or less) are easier to manage on your end, and easier for your students to navigate. If you are recording a longer lecture, consider breaking the lecture down into smaller sections by topic. If you would usually pause for questions or discussion, this may be a good time to stop the recording and start a new one.
- See our Filming Recommendations page for general tips on filming a high-quality video.
- To create an account with access to Screencast-O-Matic’s premium features, first contact Digital Learning Support to be added to UMW’s account. You will receive an email invitation within 24 hours.
- Click “Accept Invitation” in the email you receive from Screencast-O-Matic, and enter the required account information.
- Once your account is created, you will have access to the Screencast-O-Matic dashboard:
- Click “Launch Recorder” in the top right corner of the screen, and a launcher application will download.
- Click the application to run it, and after a brief install, you are ready to start recording!
Screencast-O-Matic can record what’s on your screen, what’s on your computer’s camera, or both. To start recording, open the applications you would like to use in your recording (e.g. PowerPoint, internet browser, etc.), and then click the red “Rec” button to begin the recording. When you are finished, click the Pause button, and then click “Done.” From here, you are ready to caption, edit, and share your video.
For more information on the recording process, watch Screencast-O-Matic’s short intro video below:
Once your recording is finished, you can easily trim and edit the video using Screencast-O-Matic’s built in video editor (available with UMW’s premium license).
For more help with the video editor, see Screencast-O-Matic’s playlist of editing tips below:
To ensure your videos are accessible to all your students (and in compliance with federal regulation), it is important that all videos are closed captioned. UMW’s institutional license allows quick and easy auto-captioning, but the captions may need to be edited after they are generated.
For more details on captioning, see the video below:
Publishing, Sharing, and Privacy
The easiest way to share videos with your students is by uploading them to Screencast-O-Matic, and then sharing the link with your students (in Canvas or via email).
When publishing videos, you can set videos to be publicly searchable on the internet, accessible only via the direct link you share, or password protected.
For more details on publishing, sharing, and privacy settings, see the video below:
Especially if you are uploading videos for more than one class, it may help to create channels that will keep your content organized (by making a channel for each class, for example).
For an explanation of channels, see the video below:
Importing Videos Recorded Outside of Screencast-O-Matic
You can import and share videos that you have recorded outside of Screencast-O-Matic as well. These can be edited into your screencast videos, or uploaded as whole videos.
For more information on the import process, see the video below:
If you plan on using Screencast-O-Matic frequently we recommend you download the standalone application to your computer.
For detailed instructions see Screencast-O-Matic’s guide on how to download the desktop application.
Screencast-O-Matic also offers a mobile app. This could be useful for recording yourself, or a PowerPoint slideshow on your phone.
For brief overview of the mobile app, see the videos below:
Moving from free account to premium version
If you’ve used Screencast-O-Matic with a free account (using your UMW e-mail) you may encounter some issues when moving to the premium version. Here is basic troubleshooting to try if you find you are not seeing the premium features:
Log-out of Screencast-O-Matic completely in any browser you may have logged in to with your Screencast-O-Matic account.
Clear your cache/cookies on your browser. If you’re not sure how to do that this guide covers all major browsers https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/how-to-clear-browser-cache/