University Curriculum Committee
University of Mary Washington
11 September 2013
Present: Voting members:
- Rachel Grafe-Anderson – College of Business, secretary
- Marcel Rotter (Modern Languages and Literatures) – University Faculty Council, chair
- Beverly Epps (Foundation, Leadership, and Special Populations) – College of Education
- Timothy O’Donnell (English, Linguistics, andCommunication), College of Arts and Sciences
- Kevin Caffrey – Associate Registrar
- John Morello – Associate Provost for Academic Affairs
Chair Marcel Rotter called the meeting to order at 8:30 a.m.
1. Approval of minutes (UCC meeting on 4/18/13)
a. The April meeting minutes were approved.
b. The committee agreed to amend and approve minutes in the future through email to accelerate the posting process. Meeting minutes will be provided to committee members as quickly as possible following the meeting.
2. Clarifying procedures for posting proposals to the UCC web site
a. The procedure for posting proposals to the UCC web site is the following:
i. The Curriculum Committee for the proposing College reviews the proposal.
ii. The College body approves the proposal
iii. The proposal is sent along to John Morello in one document consisting of all of the following:
- Cover sheet
- Rationale and impact statement
- Syllabus and other supporting materials
iv. The proposal is posted on the UCC web site
3. Guidelines for consistency in catalog course descriptions
a. The committee discussed the wide variation in length of catalog course descriptions. The committee also discussed reviewing all new incoming course proposals for lengthy descriptions.
b. The UCC moved that the course catalog editor reach out to departments which have course descriptions exceeding a length of 50-60 words. The editor would request that these departments streamline their course descriptions. The motion passed.
4. Deletion of courses not taught for 5 years
a. The committee discussed the list of courses that have not been taught for the last five years. It was not clear how complete the current list is. Tim O’Donnell indicated there are courses that have not been taught for five years that are not on the list.
b. The committee discussed whether there is a process for reinstating a course that has been removed from the catalog, of which there is not. Currently the number for any course removed from the catalog cannot be used again for ten years.
c. The UCC moved that Kevin Caffrey will double-check the list of courses and complete an updated copy. This copy will be provided to the UCC and John Morello, who will post it on the UCC web site. Department heads will be contacted to indicate they have courses on the list that will be removed from the catalog unless action is taken to indicate the course should not be removed. Such action requires a justification for keeping the course that will include a plan for teaching it in the foreseeable future. The motion passed.
5. Future meetings
a. The next UCC meeting will be Wednesday, October 9, 2013 at 8:30 am in 303 GW
b. The November UCC meeting will be Monday, November 11, 2013 at 8:30 am in 303 GW
c. The December UCC meeting will be Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 2pm (location TBD)
Rachel Graefe-Anderson, Secretary