Draft Minutes of the University Curriculum Committee (University of Mary Washington)
18 April 2012
Present: Voting members:
- Gail Brooks (Accounting and Management Information Systems) – College of Business
- Mary Beth Mathews (Classics, Philosophy, and Religion), chair – University Faculty Council
- Gary Richards (English, Linguistics, and Communication), secretary – College of Arts and Sciences
- Rita Dunston – Registrar
- John Morello – Associate Provost
- Brian Rizzo – Geography
Chair Mary Beth Mathews called the meeting to order at 3:01 p.m. in Trinkle 106B.
Minutes of the 14 March meeting have been circulated and approved electronically, and secretary Gary Richards had filed them with UFC. These are posted at
From the College of Arts and Sciences:
• The Committee made curricular suggestions to a proposal for a Master of Science in
Geographic Information Systems and offered further guidance through the Office of the Provost as the proposal is revised and reformatted for further consideration and ultimate submission to the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia. The Committee urged that these revisions be prioritized by the CAS Curriculum Committee when it reconvenes in the fall.
• The Committee approved a proposal for a minor in Social Justice.
• The Committee approved a proposal for a new course HISP 327: Analytical Archaeology.
• The Committee approved a proposal to change the prerequisite to and catalog copy of BIOL 210:
Introduction to Ecology and Evolution.
• The Committee approved a proposal to delete CLAS 101: Ideas and Culture: The Classical Tradition.
• The Committee approved a proposal to revise the majors Classics: Latin Concentration, Classics:
Classical Civilization Concentration, and Classics: Classical Archaeology Concentration.
All proposals were approved to go into effect Fall 2013.
There was no new business from the College of Business and the College of Education.
Chair Mary Beth Mathews thanked the Committee for its work, and the meeting adjourned at 3:58 p.m.