Welcome to the Stafford Writing Center
At the Stafford Writing Center, we help students, staff, and faculty take their written communication skills to the next level. We can help at any stage of the writing process, from brainstorming ideas to refining a full draft. Whether you’re new to academic writing and looking to learn the basics or you have more advanced concerns, we have something to offer.
We ARE open for the Summer Semester!
Summer hours: 3-8 p.m Monday-Thursday, in person or online appointments, Online only hours 9 a.m.-Noon Monday-Thursday and Saturday, Sunday 6-9 p.m. No Friday hours.
As of Summer 2014, we now do our online meetings via Canvas. Please see below.
Just looking for the link to schedule online? Click here!
Are you new to the Writing Center? Read the information below BEFORE scheduling an appointment.
The tutoring process works this way:
1. We recommend booking an appointment to ensure that a tutor will be available to see you at your preferred time. You will receive an appointment confirmation email.
2. After you book an appointment, we recommend sending your paper to your tutor in advance. You can find your tutor’s email in your appointment confirmation. You can, however, wait and bring your paper or notes with you, but you will have some wait time when you arrive while your tutor reads.
3. During your meeting, you and your tutor will discuss your concerns, assignment requirements, and suggestions for improvement. If you are brainstorming, we will discuss ideas for your upcoming paper and help you outline.
You can come by without an appointment, bringing your paper with you, though you do run the risk that all tutors will be busy at that time. Such unscheduled meetings are only available in person. We cannot have unscheduled online meetings.
You don’t just have to meet us in person. You can book a time to have a virtual meeting. Meetings take place via the conferences tab of the canvas course, Writing Center Online Meetings, in which all active students are enrolled, but meetings cannot be scheduled on the Canvas page. You must use the online scheduling system above or call us. At or before the time of your appointment, your tutor will send you an invitation to the Canvas conference. We use voice and screensharing for these meetings. We recommend using a headset with an attached mic. If you do not have one of your own, you can check one out at the Stafford Campus Library. Other technical requirements include:
- Mac OS 10x or Windows 7 or 8
- Flash plugin version 11.2 or higher
- Java runtime 7u51 or later
- 1.0 Mbits/sec downstream or 0.5Mbits/sec upstream bandwidth
Instructors can schedule a class visit, using our online scheduling system. We can come talk to your class about many different aspects of writing. Let us know what you are looking for.
We love to answer questions, even if you aren’t ready to have a full meeting. Stop by the office, give us a call, or use the contact form below.
Again, to schedule online, click here! If you have difficulty scheduling, call us at 540.286.8109 or use the contact form below. If you call on a weekday before 3 or over the weekend, please leave a message with your name and number, and one of our tutors will return your call to schedule your appointment.
Please note, this form is for scheduling queries and quick questions only. We cannot look over papers using this form. Please direct emailed papers to your tutor AFTER you have scheduled your appointment. This form is also the SLOWEST way to book an appointment. If you need an appointment quickly, please use online scheduling or call during open hours.
Thanks! We look forward to working with you this semester!!!
Follow our blog: http://writingcenters.umwblogs.org
“Like” us on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/UMWStaffordWritingCenter
“Follow” us on Twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/StaffordWC