January Box of Awesome Winner!

IMG_3595Dr. Miriam Liss, Psychology Professor in the College of Arts and Sciences has been awarded a Box of Awesome for her December submission. If you see Miriam be sure to congratulate her and ask her what was in her ‘Box of Awesome.’

Miriam designed a review activity that is “fun, engaging, reinforces relevant concepts, and allows students to direct learning and review. Furthermore, this activity requires little advanced preparation on my part so is easy to integrate into a busy teaching load. This is a Jeopardy review game with a twist – the students write the review questions. The day before the review each student is assigned a topic that will be covered in the exam. The students then bring in two index cards with a points value on one side (100,200,300,400 and 500) and a jeopardy style answer and question on the other side. I come to class with tape and a dry erase marker to write the categories on the board.

Liss-as-Alex-TrabeckThen I get ready to be Alex Trabeck -students call me Alex and in this picture one of my students created a mustache for me to wear during the game! Students tape their questions on the board under their category and then form team of rows and give themselves a team name that is usually relevant to the course material (e.g. the Superegos, or Karen Horney’s heros). Students are picked row by row to pick a category and give the right “question” for the jeopardy answer. The game is open book, open note and open conversation – anyone in the row can help. If the team gets the question wrong or times out (they cannot answer in the time it takes me to sing the Jeopardy theme song), the question gets passed to the next row. Score is kept but winners only get bragging rights. Occasionally I ask a spontaneous 100 point bonus question to ensure everything gets reviewed. For those questions I ask something that I think needs to be reviewed and anyone can shout out an answer. If anyone on the team gets it right the team gets 100 points. Sometimes at the end I give 100 points for pointing out major topics in a category that was not reviewed.

Jeopardy review reinforces the material, creates a fun class atmosphere and encourages students to think about what material should be reviewed ahead of time when they make their index card questions.

Speak Your Mind

*