TO: UMW Faculty
FROM: Anand Rao, Speaking Intensive Program Director (ELC Dept., #24 1201 William Street, x1546)
Welcome back! As you start working on your fall schedule and course syllabi, I wanted to let you know about some of what the Speaking Intensive Program (http://academics.umw.edu/speaking/) has to offer for the coming year:
SI Faculty Lunch Workshops: The SI program will host a series of luncheon workshops over the coming year. You can find the registration form for these events on the Faculty Resources tab of the SI website. Here is what we have planned for Fall 2013:
- Death by PowerPoint?: Best Practices for Using Presentation Tools – September 9, 2013, 11:30am– 1pm. We will talk about some best practices for using presentation tools, like PowerPoint, in both class and professional settings.
- Integrating WI & SI Assignments (co-sponsored by the WI and SI Programs) – October 23, 2013, 11:30am – 1pm. In this workshop, Gwen Hale and Anand Rao will talk about how to integrate writing and speaking assignments, including how to develop writing or speaking activities that will complement your existing assignments.
- New Faculty SI Workshop – November 11 & 18, 2013, 11:30am – 1pm. This workshop is intended for faculty who are new to the University, or are new to teaching SI courses. We will discuss a variety of topics, including expectations for SI courses, preparing SI-related assignments, evaluating student presentations, and how to support students’ oral communication needs.
If you have any suggested topics for future workshops, please let me know.
New SI Course Proposal Deadlines: Interested in having your course designated as Speaking Intensive? New proposal forms are linked on our site. Here are the deadlines:
- Spring 2014 courses: proposals should be received by September 6, 2013
- Summer 2014 courses: proposals should be received by November 11, 2013
- Fall term 2014 courses: proposals should be received by January 13, 2014
Feel free to contact me, or anyone on the SI Committee, for assistance in preparing your proposal.
The Speaking Center : Dr. Esther Yook has left UMW to teach at George Mason, and we are sorry to see her go. Under her direction, the Speaking Center has done an excellent job of supporting our students and SI courses from across the University. I (Anand Rao) will be serving as Director of the Speaking Center, and I look forward to continuing the Center’s excellent work in supporting our students as they develop their oral communication skills. The Speaking Center consultants are available to help you with your SI course assignments. Contact the Speaking Center at x1347, or go to the Center’s website at http://academics.umw.edu/speaking/speaking-center/ . The Speaking Center will again host a series of afternoon workshops for students (and faculty) this fall- look for announcements in September.
2013-2014 Speaking Intensive Committee
- Robert Rycroft (CAS) – 2016
- Marisa Martinez-Mira (CAS) – 2016
- Chuck Whipkey (CAS) – 2015
- Clarence “Danny” Tweedy (CAS) – 2014
- Krystyn Moon (CAS) – 2014 (sabbatical replacement TBD)
- Anand Rao (Director of the Speaking Intensive Program and the Speaking Center) – chair and ex officio
SI Committee meeting dates will be updated on the SI website.