Transfer Warning for Seniors



Please read this!

We strongly recommend that you adjust your plans and take any needed transfer courses during Fall 2015 to avoid delaying your graduation. The Spring 2016 semester at UMW, both campuses, will end earlier than most of the nearby colleges.  This means that if you take a course at another college next spring, it is almost certain that your course and grade cannot be transferred in time for you to graduate in May 2016.  To understand the problem, compare the UMW calendar with the sample tentative calendars below.  If you are planning to attend another college, please check with the registrar’s office at that college to determine if arrangements can be made for your final grades to reach UMW by our absolute deadline.  You should make contact with the Registrar at the time of your registration, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE END OF THE TERM TO ASK THEM TO MAKE SPECIAL ARRANGEMENTS FOR YOU. If we do not receive an official transcript by the deadline below a hold will be placed on your UMW transcript and we will not issue a diploma.

UMW Fredericksburg Campus:  BA/BS/BLS Students

Friday, April 22, 2016 – last day of classes for the spring semester

Monday, May 2, 2016, by 12 noon – graduating senior UMW grades are due

Tuesday, May 3, 2016, by 5 p.m. – absolute deadline for receipt of final grades or transcripts from other colleges  (no exceptions)

Saturday, May 6, 2016 – graduation


Germanna Community College

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 – last day of class and exam for the spring semester (12 week session) NOTE: This is nearly one week after our final degree review and after our commencement.

Northern Virginia Community College – all campuses 

May 2016– classes and final exams end



Tuesday, May 3, 2016  by  5 p.m.   Transcripts  for BA/BS/BLS graduating seniors are due in the Office of the Registrar.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016, 5 p.m.     Final review date for Spring 2016 graduation for BA/BS/BLS students

Applicants for degree completion whose records are not complete for any reason by this deadline will be deleted from the degree candidates list  (ceremony line-up and commencement program) and will not graduate with the Class of 2016.

If you choose to take a course at another college in the spring, you should make your arrangements with that college early in the spring semester.  Submit your request for a transcript (or report of grades) to that registrar’s office and confirm that the grades can be reported to the Office of the Registrar at UMW no later than 5 p.m., Tuesday, May 3, 2016.  Transfer permission for the course(s) must be on file in the Office of the Registrar, and you must have submitted a copy of the permission form to file with your senior checksheet.


Prior permission to take specific courses at another college must be obtained on the appropriate form available on the web or in the Office of the Registrar BEFORE the courses are taken.  If a course is being taken to count for a particular degree requirement (Major Program, General Education, or Across-The-Curriculum), that must be noted on the request for permission form.

Any BA/BS degree candidate taking courses at another college during the senior year must submit a copy of the approved transfer credit permission to the Assistant Registrar for Degree Audit, Lee 206, for attachment to the Degree Audit/Senior Checksheet.


Credit will not be awarded for courses taken pass/fail or for courses in which the final grade was C-, D+, D, or F; such courses do not transfer.

Credit will not be awarded for courses taken without prior written permission from the Transfer Credit Coordinator at UMW.

Warning:   Do not assume that what looks like an equivalent course at another college will fill an Across-The-Curriculum requirement.  Some of the approved ATC courses are instructor-specific, semester-specific, or even section-specific.

For example, section 01 of a course taught by a certain UMW instructor might be designated as Speaking Intensive but section 02, taught by the same instructor in the same semester, might not be.

You must have approval from the specific ATC committee to count a transfer course for an ATC requirement. For example, the equivalent course taken at another college will not be designated as Speaking Intensive unless the UMW Faculty Speaking Intensive Committee, after reviewing the course syllabus (at the request of the student), has determined that the transfer course taken by that specific student meets the requirements for the designation.

The ATC committee cannot Pre-Approve a transfer course for ATC designation.


November 15, 2015 —  deadline for receipt of transcripts at UMW for courses completed during Spring 2015 or Summer 2015

April 15, 2016 — deadline for receipt of transcripts at UMW for courses completed during Fall 2015

No transfer credits will be awarded  (even if transfer permission is on file)  if transcripts are received at the University of Mary Washington after the deadlines shown above.