The materials on this page are intended for FSEM instructors who are relatively new to and/or not quite comfortable with teaching writing. Each resource is a downloadable PDF. For further materials and assistance, see Gwendolyn Hale in the Writing Center.
- Integrating Writing into Your Course—A starting place for considering how writing fits into your course and your curricular goals.
- Assignment Design—A starting place for you when designing writing assignments for your course.
- Writing-to-Learn Strategies—A simple guide to creating lower-stakes writing assignments that help generate ideas and knowledge while letting your students practice their writing.
- Constructing Your Own Rubric—A guide for instructors who want to use rubrics. Rubrics provide clarity and consistency, particularly in relation to expectations and the evaluation of those expectations.
- Coaching Techniques for Working with Writers—Useful strategies for you as you meet with students to discuss and evaluate their writing.
- Citing Resources—UMW Libraries’ guide to academic citations styles and rules of citation.
- Evaluating Writing—A starting place for you when evaluating your students’ writing assignments. The guide covers different types of feedback and the purpose of each type.