Office of Academic Services Staff
Jennifer Cirbus, Student Success Coordinator, email@example.com
- Experience: I received my Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from the University at Buffalo. I am currently pursuing a Master’s of Science in College Student Personnel at Arkansas Tech University. Prior coming to UMW, I was an academic advisor at American Public University System for about five years. I advised students pursuing an education in liberal arts. Additionally, I advised a variety of student populations including, but not limited to, first year, transfer, and military students.
- Advising Philosophy: As a Student Success Coordinator my primary mission is to help students navigate successfully through their college careers while exploring their educational and career options. One of my goals is to help students find their passion as I have found mine being a student affairs professional. I strive to engage with my students and be informed of their struggles and successes through this developmental process. It is important to me that I build relationships with my students so that I can offer guidance and advice.
H. Brian Strecker, Student Success Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Experience: I have been working in higher education since 2005. Most of this experience has been in advising students, but I also have had experience in evaluating transfer credit for students. I have advised undergraduate and graduate students, transfer students, military students, as well as students with disabilities, and students on academic probation. Previous professional experience includes working in the mortgage industry, which included counseling people who were in default on their mortgage obligations, to help them avoid foreclosure. My career experiences have supported and developed my interest in working with people who are at important crossroads in their lives, to help them make decisions that will help them progress toward the next stage of their lives. I am also an actor who has appeared on stage, in television productions, and in film roles. I have also worked at historic sites as a, “Living History,” interpreter, provoking people to learn about mid-19th century American history. I earned a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy from Saint Charles Borromeo Seminary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I have also completed courses toward a Master in Roman Catholic Theology degree.
- Advising Philosophy: I take a holistic approach to advising students, attempting to consider multiple factors to assist them to make informed decisions. This should help students to not only successfully complete their academic programs, but to also prepare for employment, and/or reference graduate studies. I attempt to tap in to students’ critical thinking skills, to help them understand consequences to various options available to pursue, at any given time. I particularly enjoy working with students in challenging situations, to find creative solutions that serve them, and the university, well. I am committed to listening to students’ concerns, learning about their unique circumstances, and to developing relationships with them that allow us to work together as a team toward the fulfillment of academic and personal goals.
Charles Tate, Student Success Coordinator, email@example.com
- Experience: Fourteen years of experience in higher education—four at the University of Virginia School of Medicine and since 2004 at UMW. I have worked in an advising capacity with undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty members. My undergraduate degree is a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Lynchburg College (1996.) My graduate degree is a Master of Theological Studies in Church History from Vanderbilt University (1998.)
- Advising Philosophy: I believe that the university has a duty to support students from pre-admission advising and admission all the way through graduation and employment—each part of that process is tied to the others. My role is to be available to students and to seek out ways to help develop students into productive, ethical, educated members of society.
Charlotte Corbett-Parker, Program Support Technician, firstname.lastname@example.org